PRESS STATEMENT: RIVERS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY REACTS TO PDP CRISISWritten by Our Reporter
Fellow citizens of Rivers State and Gentlemen of the fourth estate of the realm, in view of recent happenings in the country especially as it concerns our great party-THE PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY both at the National and State levels, it has become imperative that we the undersigned members of the RIVERS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY do bring the following to the notice of all and sundry:
- Whereas on the 17th day of march, 2012, the Rivers State chapter of the PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY under the watchful eyes of the INDEPENDENT NATIONAL ELECTORAL COMMISSION, members of the FOURTH ESTATE OF THE REALM and active participation of party faithfuls held her state congress and duly elected CHIEF G.U. AKE as PARTY CHAIRMAN and BARRISTER ADOKIYE ORUWARI as SECRETARY and other members of the party executive committee for a period of FOUR (4) years as stipulated in the PEOPLES DEMOCRA TICP ARTY CONSTITUTION.
- While the undersigned were physically present and voted in the state congress of the party as DELEGATES in line with the CONSTITUTION OF the PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY. The congress was devoid of rancour. Members of the party present freely voted for candidates of their choice. It beats our imagination to note that several months after persons who did not show intent or contest the election were later to go to court to seek redress.
- Consequent upon this on the 15th day of April 2013, an Abuja high court presided over by HON. JUSTICE ISHAQ BELLO gave a judicial pronouncement declaring one FELIX OBUAH and one WALTER OPUENE as chairman and secretary respectively alongside others who never sought redress. This judicial pronouncement could be best acknowledged as JUDICIAL ANARCHY.
- As members of the PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY, DELEGATES to the STATE PARTY CONGRESS and representatives of our various constituencies, we the undersigned bearing in mind the tactical destruction of internal democracy in our party and the insurgent judgment of 15th April 2013 do hereby resolve as follows:
- That we have absolute, unshaken and unflinching confidence in the person and leadership of the EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR of RIVERS STATE, RT. HON. CHBUIKE ROTIMI AMAECID, CON., PAPAL KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF ST.GREGORY, CHAIRMAN, NIGERIA GOVERNORS FORUM, FORMER SPEAKER, RIVERS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY, FORMER CHAIRMAN, CONFERENCE OFSPEAKERS OF NIGERIA HOUSES OF ASSEMBLY and shall do everything within our powers to resist, defend and promote the collective social contract invested in our mandate as representatives of our people.
- That despite the clinical victimization of RIVERS STATE and her peoples, we shall continue to stand and support HIS EXCELLENCY, RT. HON. CHIBUIKE ROTIMI AMAECHI in his effort towards the development of our state by giving the necessary legislative backings to actualize his promises to the people of Rivers State.
- Taking into consideration our full participation as DELEGATES in the STATE PARTY CONGRESS of 17th March 2012 at the Alfred Diete-Spiff Civic Centre, Port Harcourt, we restate in clear terms our UNALLOYED, TOTAL, IRREVOCABLE and IRRETRIEVABLE SUPPORT for the duly elected CHIEF G.U.AKE (FORMER DEPUTY SPEAKER, RIVERS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY, FORMER CHAIRMAN OF PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY SOUTH-SOUTH ZONE) and BARRISTER ADOKIYE ORUWARI (FORMER MEMBER, RIVERS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY) as CHAIRMAN and SECRETARY respectively, led executive committee of our great party - PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY. We shall not support, recognize or do business with any other state executive borne out of the unfortunate judicial recklessness of the Abuja High Court.
- We make these commitments fully aware and/or abreast of the plans to annihilate or collapse the administration of RT. HON. CHIBUIKE ROTIMI AMAECHI through series of planned arrests, intimidation and threats to life and property of Rivers State government officials and members of the Rivers State House of Assembly including the economic strangulation of Rivers State to hinder early completion of projects in the state.
- We are aware of the wanton cunning collapse of the security apparatus in the state possibly intended to orchestrate a breakdown of law and order with the aim of bolstering a state of emergency.
- We condemn in strong terms the conspiracy and betrayal of trust by power drunk Abuja based Rivers politicians who, beclouded by the guinea pig syndrome are bent on distorting history, events and development of Rivers State in their bid to massage their inordinate ambitions. '
- We salute the courage of those of our representatives at the National Assembly who stand for' the truth with the people of Rivers State and call on all our constituents to remain calm, law abiding and committedly loyal to the aspirations of our leadership.
- We dissociate ourselves from the leprous contraption known as RIVERS STATE LEGISLATIVE FORUM purportedly led by HON. KINGSLEY O. CHINDA.
We remain HONOURABLE MEMBERS OF RIVERS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY. We reassure the good people of Rivers State especially members of the PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY that we will not be intimidated by this ongoing charade and would follow this comedy to a logical conclusion.
- Lastly we remain consoled in our faith as lawmakers that the judiciary, which is the last bastion of hope of NIGERIA as a NATION, will save itself from this desecration of her sanctity. NIGERIANS ARE WATCHING.