24/7 Radio Live
Tuesday, 09 May 2017 06:28

Wike sacks more Igbo traders Featured

Written by LEDUM PRINCE
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Rivers State Governor, Ezebuwon Nyesom Wike Rivers State Governor, Ezebuwon Nyesom Wike Credits: File copy

Traders of Igbo origin doing business in Port Harcourt have come under more hammer of the Rivers State Governor, Mr. Ezebuwon Nyesom Wike, who, on Monday, intensified his campaign to keep them out of business. The governor had on Monday sent in bulldozers to demolish the traders’ makeshift stalls along the Mile 1 market close to the rail line close to Ikwerre Road.

The traders usually come from Aba, Abia State, to do daily business of selling second-hand clothes and shoes.    

Most of the traders, who deal on second hand clothes and other wears, were seen struggling to salvage some of their goods. However, the Rivers State Government Task Force protected by heavily armed policemen, were seen carting away the goods into several Hilux vehicles. They were later seen driving away the seized goods to unknown locations. Some of the traders sustained injuries as a result of the chaos that ensued.  

Some of the traders who spoke to journalists claimed to have lost goods worth millions of Naira in the raid which they condemned.   

The Monday attack on the traders only added to similar previous onslaughts against most Igbo petty traders doing business in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, since Mr. Wike assumed office.

During the 2015 governorship campaign, Ohanaeze Ndigbo in Rivers State had expressed fear that a Wike governorship was not going to favour the Igbo. There had been unconfirmed reports Wike had threatened to sack Igbo traders from the streets of the state capital if he was elected governor.

When contacted, no official of the State Government was willing to comment on the matter but a senior official not to be named as he was not authorised to speak to the media on the matter, told The Neighbourhood it was part of efforts to keep the state capital clean and ready for the state's Golden Jubilee celebration.

“The Rivers State Government is expecting lots of guests and tourists on May 27 when the grand finale of activities marking the state’s 50th Anniversary will hold. So, what we are doing is not targeted at the Igbo in Port Harcourt. They are free to carry on with their businesses but not to the detriment of the state”, the unnamed official said.

Read 284 times Last modified on Tuesday, 09 May 2017 06:37

The Neighbourhood Newspaper is a colourful newspaper published by NATIVITY COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY LIMITED, a company fully registered in Nigeria. We are a quality, regional newspaper with credible and dependable information. Not beholden to any interest group, loyalty is to the people. More

Random Photos

Top
We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…