A call has been made to Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, to come open on the military operations in Oyigbo Town, in Oyigbo local government area, against “the brazen effort to hide its scale”.
The call was made by Victor Fingesi, the National Secretary of African Democratic Party, ADP, on Saturday in a post he shared on his Facebook page, facebook.com/victor.fingesi.
Fingesi, who said the crIsis was still “unresolved”, expressed worry that the Rivers State Government had been unable to calm down the situation in the area. He also said that it was more worrisome that the military siege on Oyigbo lasted up to 14 days lamenting the “deliberate” plans by the Wike administration to stifle media reports of what happened in Oyigbo. “There indeed is a deliberate media blackout in Oyigbo”, Fingesi said. He called on Gov. Wike to issue a formal statement on the carnage in Oyigbo as well as his plans to have the crisis resolved.
He added, “The unresolved crisis in Oyigbo in the Oyigbo local Government Area of the State and the brazen effort to hide the scale has reached my attention. It is worrisome that the Government of Rivers State has been unable until now to calm the situation. More worrisome still is the fact that this situation has lasted for more than two weeks and that there is Government resolve to stifle information from this town and their use in the media. There indeed is a deliberate media blackout in Oyigbo.
“While I offer my condolences to all those who lost loved ones in the crises, i wish to state that in order that this does not degenerate to an ethnic crisis, and if government does not wish to be seen as complicit in it, government is hereby requested to issue a formal statement concerning the status of the crises and its plan at resolution.